Mint Mobile is one of the most affordable cellular providers around, offering unlimited talk and text plans for $15 per month. With no long-term contracts and flexible plan options, Mint Mobile is one of the best cellular providers for seniors.
What’s more, Mint Mobile lets you keep your existing phone number so you don’t have to deal with updating family members or friends of a new number. Additionally, the provider gives customers the opportunity to choose from 6 or 12-month plans, with ongoing discounts for new customers.
Mint Mobile Pros and Cons
Mint Mobile Pros
- Highly affordable plans. With prices starting as low as $15 per month, Mint Mobile offers the most affordable cellular plans with unlimited talk, text, and data.
- No overage charges. Mint will slow your data speeds if you exceed your monthly allowance, but it will never hit you with overage charges.
- 5G access. All Mint Mobile plans offer access to 5G when available, giving users ultra-fast download speeds.
- 30-day trials. You can purchase a device through Mint Mobile, but you’ll also have the option to bring your own device to Mint’s service if your phone is unlocked.
- Easy activation: It takes just minutes to activate your plan with the Mint Mobile app and one of their SIM cards.
Mint Mobile Cons
- Deprioritization. Mint Mobile piggybacks on the T-Mobile network, so Mint may throttle your data speeds if a lot of nearby T-Mobile users are also using their cellular service.
- Up-front payments. To get the lowest prices from Mint, you’ll have to sign up for a 12-month plan, which requires up-front payments for the full year of service. For example, the 12-month 4GB plan — although it technically costs $15 per month — is actually a one-time $180 payment paid in full up front.
Mint Mobile Plans and Pricing
|Mint Mobile Plan||Starting Monthly Price*||Talk and Text Allowance||Monthly High-Speed Data Limit||Ideal for|
|Mint 55+||$15 per month||Unlimited||4GB||Seniors looking to switch to a more affordable provider with unlimited talk, text, and data.|
|10 GB||$20 per month||Unlimited||10GB||People who do moderate amounts of web browsing, app usage, and music streaming|
|15 GB||$25 per month||Unlimited||15GB||People who wish to stream music and videos|
|Unlimited||$30 per month||Unlimited||35GB||People who heavily stream music and video|
*Monthly prices reflect the cost of Mint Mobile’s 12-month plans.
Mint Mobile Plans for Seniors
For people 55 and older, Mint Mobile offers their Mint 55+ plan. This service includes unlimited talk, text, and 4GB of data, and it requires no long-term contracts. Additionally, with this plan you can keep your current cell phone number.
One of our favorite features of the Mint 55+ plan is that it gives you access to MinTech advisors. These service professionals can help you activate your phone and troubleshoot any issues you have related to your cellular service or devices. Think of it like free priority customer service.
How to Purchase Mint Mobile
To get started with Mint Mobile, visit the company’s website to view its plans, prices, and — if needed — the phones it offers. Mint Mobile provides the option of either using your own device (for which it’ll provide a free SIM card for eligible devices) or purchasing a new one. If you’re in the market for a new phone, we recommend taking a look at Mint Mobile’s offerings since the company constantly offers discounts on new phones when they’re paired with a 12-month plan.
Once you purchase a plan from Mint Mobile, the company will send you a SIM card that can be quickly inserted into your phone. Once installed, your service will be up and running.
FYI: Did you know some phones double as medical alert systems? To learn more, read our Jitterbug Flip review and Jitterbug Smart review.
Mint Mobile Prices
Mint offers three tiers of plans: three months, six months, and 12 months. The three-month plans are the most expensive, and the six and 12-month plans have increasingly discounted rates. The six-month unlimited plan costs $35 per month for unlimited talk and text, while the 12-month plan costs slightly less at $30 per month. Although the price difference for upgrading to a 12-month plan isn’t substantial, I’d recommend choosing it to get the best rates.
Mint Mobile does not require a long-term contract, but it does require up-front payment for the entirety of your plan. If you want the 12-month unlimited plan, for example, you’ll pay a one-time fee of $360 when you sign up rather than 12 separate $30 installments.
When your plan period ends, Mint Mobile will contact you to renew your service and you may pay for another three, six, or 12 months of cellular service.
Did You Know: If you’re looking for a phone to use with Mint Mobile, check out our list of the best unlocked phones for seniors.
Mint Mobile Network Coverage
Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network, which means it offers nationwide coverage to a majority of the United States. It also offers a wide range of 5G coverage for ultra-fast download speeds. The downside, however, is that T-Mobile users are prioritized in times of heavy usage, so your Mint Mobile speeds are subject to fluctuation.
If you’re at a football game where hundreds of other people are using their T-Mobile service, for example, your Mint Mobile service may take a backseat. In our experience, though, there was little in the way of slowed speeds if we stayed within our monthly data allowance.
Mint Mobile vs. T-Mobile
Mint Mobile piggybacks off T-Mobile’s network, meaning they share similar speeds and areas of coverage. There are some key differences, however, related to pricing and data allowance. Below, you’ll find a comparison of their most affordable unlimited plans.
|Mint Mobile 55+||T-Mobile Essentials 55+|
|Starting Price||$15 per month||$27.50 per month|
|Data Throttled||After 4 GB||After 50 GB|
|Age Requirement||None||Must be 55 or older|
It’s hard to find a better affordable wireless provider than Mint Mobile. Mint can’t guarantee the consistently high speeds of T-Mobile senior plans, but it still offers unlimited talk, text, and data plans at incredibly low prices.
To learn more about our favorite cell phones and providers for seniors, check out our helpful guides and reviews.
- Consumer Cellular Review
- Lively Phones Review
- Best Cell Phones for Seniors
- Best Flip Phones for Seniors
- Best iPhones for Seniors
- Cricket Wireless Phones for Seniors: Plans, Prices, and Reviews
Mint Mobile Frequently Asked Questions
- Does Mint Mobile have a senior plan?
The Mint Mobile 55+ plans are available exclusively for older adults, and they include unlimited talk, unlimited texts, and 4GB of data.
- Is Mint mobile trustworthy?
Mint Mobile offers reliable service at an affordable price. We think it’s a trustworthy company because its service is good and it doesn’t hide any fees.
- What are the negatives of Mint Mobile?
The main downside of Mint Mobile is that it piggybacks off T-Mobile’s network, so T-Mobile customers will be prioritized over Mint users in some instances.
- Is Mint mobile owned by Ryan Reynolds?
Ryan Reynolds is a partial owner of Mint Mobile. He purchased a large stake in the company in 2019.
- Who is the carrier for Mint Mobile?
Mint Mobile uses T-Mobile’s network, including its 5G coverage.
- Does Mint Mobile have hidden fees?
Mint Mobile does not hit you with any hidden fees for activation, yearly dues, or overage charges. Its up-front pricing is transparent and covers the entirety of your service during your three-, six-, or 12-month period.