Japan has a long and rich history full of culture and tradition, and this is also reflected in its language and naming conventions. Japanese girl names are a beautiful and unique way to represent the culture and heritage of the Japanese people. In this article, we will explore the most popular and beautiful Japanese girl names, names with several different kanji characters, various meanings and a range of pronunciations.
Traditions Behind Japanese Girl Names
If you're looking for a traditional Japanese name for your baby girl, you may enjoy brushing up on Japanese culture and customs regarding the baby-naming process. Even if you already have some understanding of the topic, the following information could be useful in helping you find the perfect name.
The Japanese Alphabet
In order to begin, it may be beneficial to become familiar with the Japanese alphabet. Japanese names are often written in kanji, which are characters that give an aesthetically pleasing illustration for each name. Nevertheless, kanji can be intricate, so some parents opt for the simplified forms of kanji, known as hiragana and katakana.
You can see how these different forms of the Japanese alphabet look with the following example. The Japanese girls’ name Haruka can look like this (among other options) when written with kanji: 晴香. You could write it with hiragana, which looks like this: はるか. And in katakana, it’s simplified further: ハルカ.
RELATED ARTICLEBaby Names1,100 Girl Names to Inspire You
Characters, Meaning and Pronunciation
Once Japanese parents select a name for their daughter, they will decide which kanji characters, interpretations and pronunciation to use. Japanese names for both girls and boys incorporate over 3,000 kanji characters, and when these characters are blended to create distinctive monikers and implications, there is almost an infinite number of possibilities!
Many parents decide to only use one kanji character when selecting a name for their baby, yet historically it was more meaningful to use multiple characters. It is typical for a Japanese girl to have a name with two or three characters; four characters are often reserved for the eldest in the family as a sign of respect.
The name Tomomi is a good example of the creative potential of Japanese names. The character tomo can have a variety of meanings, including ‘wisdom’, ‘intellect’ and ‘friend’. When combined with mi, it can signify ‘beauty’, ‘fruit’, ‘good result’ and ‘truth’. Therefore, a child’s name could mean ‘intelligent beauty’, ‘wise truth’, ‘beautiful friend’ and so forth.
If you're looking for an original, personalised name for your daughter, you can find many female Japanese names with special meanings. However, due to the complexity of kanji, it is common to include the correct spelling and pronunciation of the name when introducing it to family and friends. This is a relatively new trend that began in the 1990s.
To make it easier, our list of Japanese names for girls includes the most popular pronunciations for each name. But if you decide to use a different pronunciation, be sure to include the correct spelling and pronunciation.
BABY NAME GENERATOR TOOL
Most Popular Japanese Girl Names
If you want to stay on top of the latest trends, finding a popular name might play a part in that. In the United Kingdom, Japanese girl names are relatively rare, but here we’ve listed some of the top girl names in Japan in recent years and a few names that work well in both Japanese and English.
1. Aoi. This is a perfect choice if you love floral names as Aoi means ‘hollyhock, althea’ and comes from the kanji that means ‘green, blue’, just like the flowers. The name has a unique pronunciation, A-O-EE.
2. Ema. The most popular Japanese girls’ name is Ema, though might see it spelt Emma in the United Kingdom. In Japanese kanji, it means ‘favour, benefit’ or ‘bay, inlet’ combined with ‘flax’.
3. Hana. Another great option for a Japanese girls’ name that would work well in English is Hana, pronounced just like the biblical name Hannah. In Japanese kanji, it means ‘flower’.
4. Himari. The popular Japanese name for females, Himari (pronounced HEE-MA-REE) is extra cute with its meaning, ‘sunflower’.
5. Jun. Pronounced JOON, Jun is also popular as a Japanese boys’ name. As a singular kanji, it has several different meanings, including ‘pure’, ‘clean’, ‘simple’ and ‘moisture’, among other interpretations.
6. Mei. This Japanese girls’ name is pronounced MEH-EE and combines kanji to mean ‘bud, sprout’ and ‘life’, so it’s quite the poetic option.
7. Naomi. Naomi is another popular Japanese name for girls that you may recognise because it’s not only a Japanese name but also a biblical name. It has steadily maintained its popularity in the United Kingdom over the years. It means ‘straight, direct’ and ‘beautiful’.
8. Reina. Pronounced REH-NA, this traditional Japanese girls’ namesimply means ‘wise’, so it’s a good option for your little intellectual!
9. Rin. This unisex name means ‘dignified’ and is pronounced REEN. You can give this moniker to your regal little guy or gal!
10. Tsumugi. Popular and traditional, the Japanese girls’ name Tsumugi (pronounced TSOO-MOO-GEE) has a unique meaning: ‘pongee’ or ‘to spin’. Pongee is a traditional knotted silk cloth in Japan.
Unique and Rare Japanese Girl Names
Choosing a rare Japanese girls’ name may help your little star stand out from the crowd. And by nature, these beautiful girl names from Japan may seem unusual and unique in the U.K.
11. Asami. Unique Japanese girls’ names like Asami still offer very pretty meanings. Pronounced A-SA-MEE, asa means ‘hemp’ and mi means ‘beautiful’.
12. Chinatsu. Though many are still unique, Japanese girl names meaning ‘summer’ are quite popular. You’ll find lots of options, including Chinatsu, which is pronounced CHEE-NA-TSOO and means ‘a thousand summers’.
13. Chō. A unique choice is Chō, a beautiful option meaning ‘butterfly’ and pronounced CHO. The butterfly symbolises rebirth, hope and freedom.
14. Junko. If you read this list in full, you’ll learn that ko means ‘child’, which is a common kanji in many Japanese names for girls and boys. In the case of Junko, jun means ‘obedience’ or ‘pure’. The name is pronounced JOON-KO and is a great wish for your little one!
15. Kyō. As a singular kanji, this unusual girls’ name has many different meanings, including ‘unite’, ‘cooperate’, ‘capital city’, ‘village’ and even ‘apricot’. It’s pronounced KyO.
16. Masuyo. A happy omen for your baby girl, this Japanese name means ‘profit, benefit’ and ‘world’. Your little Masuyo (pronounced MA-SOO-YO) will make the world her own!
17. Minato. Pronounced MEE-NA-TO, this rare Japanese girls’ name means ‘harbour’, making it a good choice if you love sailing or spending time by the water.
18. Tsubame. Another rare option, this Japanese girls’ name comes with a unique pronunciation, TSOO-BA-MEE. If you like birds, you’ll certainly love the meaning of ‘swallow’, as in the adorable little bird.
19. Umeko. With ume meaning ‘apricot, plum’ and ko meaning ‘child’, the name could suit a baby who is as sweet as a little apricot! Umeko is pronounced OO-MEH-KO.
20. Yaeko. Pronounced YA-EH-KO, this name means ‘multi-layered child’, which is true for any baby!
More Unique and Rare Japanese Girl Names
If you loved exploring those wonderfully unique names, we’ve got even more for you:
|21.||Airi||A-EE-REE||Love, affection / white jasmine, pear|
|22.||Chihiro||CHEE-KHEE-RO||Thousand / fathom|
|23.||Hina||KHEE-NA||Light, sun, day / greens|
|24.||Kanako||KA-NA-KO||Fragrance / greens / child|
|25.||Megumi||MEH-GOO-MEE||Favour, love, affection|
|26.||Mizuki||MEE-ZOO-KyEE||Felicitous omen / hope|
|27.||Nao||NA-O||Direct / centre|
|28.||Saori||SA-O-REE||Sand / weaving|
|29.||Yōko||YO-KO||Light, sun, ocean / child|
|30.||Yū||YOO||Excellence, superiority / brave|
Pretty and Cute Japanese Girl Names
From pretty or cute sounds to dreamy meanings, you’ll find plenty of adorable Japanese girl names in this list.
31. Akari. Give your little one (pronounced A-KA-REE) an adorable name meaning ‘bright’ and ‘village’ or ‘white jasmine’.
32. Ami. Pronounced like the name Amy, this monikermeans ‘second’ or ‘Asia’ from the word a, and ‘beautiful’ from the word mi. This might be a good name for your beautiful second-born daughter.
33. Emi. This cute Japanese girls’ name sounds lovely and comes with a pretty meaning. Pronounced EH-MEE, it means ‘beautiful’ and ‘picture’.
34. Honoka. The word hono means ‘harmony’ and ka means ‘flower’, creating a truly beautiful Japanese name for girls. It’s pronounced HO-NO-KA.
35. Ichika. This Japanese girls’ name has too many meanings to list, but the prettiest ones for the word ichi mean ‘love’, ‘hope’ and ‘beginning’. And the cherry on top is that ka can mean ‘flower’, ‘beautiful’, ‘affection’ and ‘fragrance’, among other interpretations. Top it all off with an adorable pronunciation, EE-CHEE-KA.
36. Kei. Pronounced KEH, this pretty Japanese girl’s name can mean ‘intelligent’ or ‘gemstone’.
37. Mio. In this name, the word mi means ‘beautiful’ and o means ‘cherry blossom’ or ‘thread’. Mio is pronounced MEE-OH.
38. Noa. What’s more beautiful than this name’s meaning of ‘love’? The kanji no is actually a possessive particle, so it shows ownership of a, meaning ‘love’ and ‘affection’. Your little one will have all she needs with this name!
39. Shiori. Pronounced SHEE-O-REE, the Japanese girls’ name Shiori has lots of different meanings. When combined, the kanji shi and ori can mean ‘bookmark’, so this is perfect for your little bookworm! When the kanji are considered separately, you get meanings like ‘poem’, ‘weave’ and ‘graceful’, among others.
40. Yui. Your little one will scrub up well with this name! Pronounced YOO-EE, Yui means ‘excellence, superiority’ and ‘garment of clothing’.
More Pretty and Cute Japanese Girl Names
If you were won over by those adorable and beautiful Japanese girl names, keep reading – we’ve got even more!
|42.||Etsuko||EH-TSOO-KO||Joy, pleased / child|
|43.||Hoshiko||HO-SHEE-KO or HO-SHKO||Star / child|
|46.||Kazuko||KA-ZOO-KO||One, harmony, peace / child|
|47.||Rei||REH||Bell, beautiful / tinkling of jade|
|48.||Sachiko||SA-CHEE-KO||Happiness, good luck / child|
|49.||Wakana||WA-KA-NA||Harmony, peace / play music|
|50.||Yūka||YOO-KA||Gentleness / blossom, flower|
Cool Japanese Girl Names
Whether it’s due to their meaning, pronunciation or spelling, Japanese girl names are pretty cool. If you want your little lady to be a trendsetter, check out our list of some of the coolest Japanese female names.
51. Akira. Pronounced A-KyEE-RA, Akira already sounds cool, but what makes it even better is the meaning of ‘bright’ and ‘clear’. If you like watching Japanese films, you might be familiar with the famous filmmaker Akira Kurosawa.
52. Asuka. You’ve got two choices for pronunciations with this name, both with a cool sound: A-SOO-KA or A-SKA. The name means ‘to fly’ and ‘bird’, and is there anything cooler than to soar as high as a bird?
53. Hikari. Pronounced KHEE-KA-REE, this Japanese girl’s name simply means ‘light’. It’s perfect for the new light in your life! Plus, it’s very pretty in hiragana (ひかり), which is more popular than kanji for this name.
54. Keiko. This name simply looks cool and means ‘celebrate’ and ‘child’. And no doubt you’ll be celebrating once your child is born! It’s pronounced KEH-KO.
55. Kimiko. This cool Japanese name means ‘valuable’ (ki), ‘beautiful’ (mi) and ‘child’ (ko), a terrific meaning for any little girl! You can pronounce it KyEE-MEE-KO.
56. Mai. This is a great option if you want to give your little one a Japanese girls’ name that’s similar to an English name. Mai can be pronounced like May or MA-EE. As a singular kanji, the name has several meanings, including ‘dance’, ‘genuine’, ‘love’ and ‘affection’.
57. Noriko. Give your little one a cool and strong Japanese girls’ name with Noriko, pronounced NO-REE-KO and meaning ‘rule’ and ‘child’.
58. Shun. Set your little one up for success with the name Shun, pronounced SHOON. It means ‘fast’ or ‘talented’.
59. Yoshiko. The kanji yoshi has a few different meanings, including ‘good’, ‘virtuous’, ‘fragrant’, ‘joy’ and ‘respectable’. But since the kanji ko means ‘child’, a cool combination could be ‘virtuous child’. Yoshiko is pronounced YO-SHEE-KO.
60. Yume. Like the Irish girls’ name Aisling, Yume means ‘dream, vision’. Of course, this Japanese girls’ name has a very different sound (Yume is pronounced YOO-MEH) and comes with a few other potential meanings. Additional kanji interpretations include ‘abundant’ or ‘plentiful’ and ‘bud’ or ‘sprout’.
More Cool Japanese Girl Names
Keep your cool with more trendy Japanese girl names:
|61.||Aki||A-KyEE||Crystal, bright / Asia / hope|
|62.||Chie||CHEE-EH||Thousand / favour, benefit, picture|
|63.||Haruko||HA-ROO-KO||Light, sun / child|
|64.||Kokoro||KO-KO-RO||Heart, mind, soul|
|65.||Mao||MA-O||Real, genuine / dance / cherry blossom|
|68.||Shion||SHEE-ON||Aster / poem / sound|
|69.||Toshiko||TO-SHEE-KO||Quick, clever, sharp / child|
Japanese Girl Names Meaning ‘Flower’
Flower names are a popular choice for baby girls, as they evoke beauty and nature. If you’re looking for Japanese girl names meaning ‘flower’, then you’re in luck!
71. Ayame. With its pronunciation of A-YA-MEH, this name has a beautiful sound, and, of course, it’s the name of a flower. The translation of this Japanese name is ‘iris’, referring to the purple flower.
72. Hanae. Pronounced HA-NA-EH, this cute floral name combines hana, meaning ‘flower’ and e, meaning ‘picture’, ‘favour’ or ‘benefit’.
73. Hanako. The Japanese word hana translates to ‘flower’, and since ko means ‘child’, you have yourself an adorable flower child with this name! Hanako is pronounced HA-NA-KO.
74. Hinata. The gender-neutral name means ‘sunny place’, ‘toward the sun’ or, simply, ‘sunflower’. You might consider this Japanese name for a baby girl born in the summer! You can pronounce Hinata, HEE-NA-TA.
75. Karen. You may recognise this familiar girls’ name, but unlike the English name Karen, the Japanese version is pronounced KA-REHN, putting a very pretty spin on it. It also comes with the lovely meanings of ‘flower’ and ‘lotus’ or ‘water lily’.
76. Kiku. Pronounced KyEE-KOO, this adorable name simply means ‘chrysanthemum’, referring to the flower.
77. Mio. Another cute-sounding name, Mio, pronounced MEE-OH, combines kanji to create the meaning ‘beautiful cherry blossom’.
78. Misaki. If you want a beautiful floral name for your little girl that's less specific than Mio, above, try Misaki, pronounced MEE-SA-KyEE. It means ‘beautiful blossom’.
79. Sakura. If you like the simple meaning ‘cherry blossom’, you can go with Sakura, pronounced SA-KOO-RA. If you were a fan of Cardcaptor Sakura, the girl manga animated series in the late 1990s, you might recognise (and love) this name!
80. Sayuri. This flower name has the adorable translation of ‘small lily’ in Japanese.It could be a cute option for a little girl whose mother’s name is Lily!
More Japanese Girl Names Meaning ‘Flower’
There are so many beautiful Japanese girl names meaning ‘flower’, that we had to add even more to our list:
|81.||Chika||CHEE-KA||A thousand flowers|
|82.||Haruka||HA-ROO-KA||Spring / flower, blossom|
|83.||Kanon||KA-NON||Flower, blossom / sound|
|84.||Kasumi||KA-SOO-MEE||Flower, blossom / clear, pure|
|86.||Momoka||MO-MO-KA||A hundred flowers|
|88.||Riko||REE-KO||White jasmine / child|
|89.||Rina||REE-NA||White jasmine / garden|
|90.||Sakiko||SA-KyEE-KO||Blossom / child|
Nature-Inspired Japanese Girl Names
Just like Korean girl names, Japanese names are often inspired by nature and the beauty of the world around us. Besides flowers, many names have meanings relating to animals, seasons, weather, gemstones and more.
91. Chōko. With this truly cute Japanese girls’ name, your little one could be a beautiful ‘butterfly child’! The name is pronounced CHO-KO.
92. Fuyuko. If your little lady is born during the winter months, you could consider the name Fuyuko, pronounced FOO-YOO-KO. It combines kanji to mean ‘winter child’.
93. Hibiki. For a Japanese girls’ name with a unique sound and meaning, Hibiki offers an excellent option. It’s pronounced KHEE-BEE-KyEE and means ‘sound’ or ‘echo’.
94. Hoshi. Give your little star a name that means ‘star!’ Hoshi, a singular kanji, is pronounced HO-SHEE.
95. Hotaru. This lovely Japanese name for girls has the magical meaning, ‘firefly’ and is pronounced HO-TA-ROO.
96. Kohaku. Pronounced KO-HA-KOO, this sweet name means ‘amber’, referring to the fossilised gemstone.
97. Natsuki. If you're looking for celestial Japanese girl names meaning ‘moon’, consider Natsuki, pronounced NA-TSOO-KyEE. When combined, this kanji means ‘summer moon’, which is ideal for a summer baby.
98. Shinju. This pretty Japanese name simply means ‘pearl’, perfect for your little girl who’s as precious as a pearl! Shinju is pronounced SHEEN-JOO.
99. Sora. Sora is a short and sweet Japanese name for girls that means ‘sky’ and is pronounced SO-RA.
100. Suzume. This unusual Japanese girls’ name simply means ‘sparrow’, referring to the sweet little bird, and is pronounced SOO-ZOO-MEH.
More Nature-Inspired Japanese Girl Names
It’s easy to get lost in the magic of these Japanese girl names inspired by nature. Here are even more:
|104.||Mami||MA-MEE||Beautiful / flax|
|105.||Manami||MA-NA-MEE||Love / sea, ocean|
Japanese Girl Names Meaning ‘Beautiful’
Nothing quite compares to the beauty of a newborn baby girl – so why not find a name that reflects that? Many Japanese names for girls have the kanji meaning of ‘beautiful’, so take your pick!
111. Aimi. If you’re looking for a truly beautiful Japanese girls’ name meaning ‘love’, this has got to be it! Pronounced A-EE-MEE, the name combines ai, meaning ‘love, affection’, with mi, meaning ‘beautiful’. A perfectly beautiful name for your gorgeous little love!
112. Akemi. Pretty and cute, the Japanese girls’ name Akemi, pronounced A-KEH-MEE, means ‘beautiful’ and ‘bright’.
113. Hitomi. This name typically uses the simplified hiragana system and means ‘beautiful history’. You can pronounce it HEE-TO-MEE and write it ひとみ.
114. Kumiko. Kumiko, pronounced KOO-MEE-KO, might be the ideal Japanese name for a baby girl. Its kanji mean ‘long time’ (ku), ‘beautiful’ (mi) and ‘child’ (ko). So, you have a forever beautiful child!
115. Michiko. Meaning ‘beautiful’, ‘wise’ and ‘child’ in Japanese, this name may just be the best choice for your little girl. Plus, it has the cute pronunciation of MEE-CHEE-KO.
116. Mika. Pronounced MEE-KA, this pretty name combines mi, meaning ‘beautiful’, with ka, meaning ‘fragrance’.
117. Miu. With an adorable sound and meaning, Miu is pronounced MEE-OO and means ‘beautiful’ and ‘feather’.
118. Nanami. If you have a big family and want a beautiful Japanese name for girls, you might like Nanami, pronounced NA-NA-MEE. Nana means ‘seven’ and mi can mean ‘beautiful’, so it’s perfect for your seventh child or the seventh girl in your extended family!
119. Satomi. Give your daughter a big compliment with this name, as sato means ‘intelligent, clever, bright’ and, when combined, mi means ‘beautiful’. The name is pronounced SA-TO-MEE.
120. Yumi. The name Yumi (pronounced YOO-MEE) combines two kanji that have lots of potential interpretations – one being ‘beautiful friend’.
More Japanese Girl Names Meaning ‘Beautiful’
We’ve got even more heart-meltingly beautiful names below:
|121.||Ayumi||A-YOO-MEE||Asia / reason / beautiful|
|122.||Masami||MA-SA-MEE||Become / beautiful|
|123.||Mayumi||MA-YOO-MEE||Genuine / reason / beautiful|
|124.||Miho||MEE-HO||Beautiful / protect|
|125.||Miki||MEE-KyEE||Beautiful / chronicle|
|126.||Miyu||MEE-YOO||Beautiful / gentleness, evening|
|127.||Tamiko||TA-MEE-KO||Very beautiful child|
|129.||Yoshie||YO-SHEE-EH||Beautiful / favour|
|130.||Yumiko||YOO-MEE-KO||Reason / beautiful / child|
Japanese Girl Names With Strong Meanings
These beautiful Japanese girl names have strong meanings that may inspire strength in your courageous and fierce little lady.
131. Ayane. Pronounced A-YA-NEH, in Japanese aya means ‘colour’, ‘design’, and ‘brilliant kimono design’ and ne means ‘sound’. Since the kimono is such an important traditional garment, this is certainly a meaningful and strong name.
132. Chiyo. Though short and simple, Chiyo has quite a powerful meaning. Pronounced CHEE-YO, this Japanese girls’ name means ‘thousand’, ‘generation’ and ‘world’.
133. Hiroko. This cute Japanese name for girls may bring plenty of luck to you little one! Hiro can mean ‘tolerant, generous’, ‘abundant’ or ‘prosperous’ and, of course, ko means ‘child’. It’s pronounced HEE-RO-KO.
134. Masako. By now, may know that ko means ‘child’, so a name ending in ko is bound to be adorable! Masa can mean ‘elegant, ‘graceful’, ‘right’ or ‘proper’, so prepare for a little lady full of grace! If you’re looking for royal baby names, consider Masako (pronounced MO-SA-KO), the name of the current empress consort of Japan.
135. Miku. The Japanese girls’ name Miku, pronounced MEE-KOO, has a lot of great qualities. Mi means ‘beautiful’ and when combined with ku, means ‘sky’ or ‘long time’. But as a traditional nanori reading, Miku has a non-standard blend of kanji and means ‘future’.
136. Shinobu. This cool Japanese girl’s name means ‘patience, endurance’. It’s pronounced SHEE-NO-BOO.
137. Tomoko. The name Tomoko, pronounced TO-MO-KO, is a powerful choice. Tomo can mean ‘wisdom, intellect’ and ko means ‘child’, so you’re setting up your little one for a great future!
138. Tsukiko. For a celestial Japanese girls’ name meaning ‘moon’, you have the moniker Tsukiko, pronounced TSOO-KyEE-KO. And since ko means ‘child’, you have the meaning ‘moon child’ for your future astronaut.
139. Ume. Pronounced OO-MEH, this name simply means ‘Japanese apricot, plum’, referring to the species Prunus mume. Though it might not appear powerful at first, in Japanese culture, the ume blossom is thought to be a talisman to ward against evil.
140. Yoshi. As a singular kanji, the name Yoshi (pronounced YO-SHEE) is a gender-neutral name with several potential meanings, including ‘good luck’, ‘righteous’ or ‘virtuous’.
More Japanese Girl Names With Strong Meanings
Keep the power going with even more strong Japanese girl names!
|141.||Chiyoko||CHEE-YO-KO||Child of a thousand generations|
|145.||Mari||MA-REE||Real, genuine / reason, logic|
|146.||Minoru||MEE-NO-ROO||To bear fruit|
|149.||Tomiko||TO-MEE-KO||Wealthy, abundant child|
|150.||Yua||YOO-A||Bind / love, affection|
Even More Japanese Female Names
There’s an abundance of amazing Japanese names for females, each with its own intriguing meaning. If you’re still undecided, here are a few more for you to check out:
|More Japanese Female Names|
FAQS AT A GLANCE
With over 200 Japanese girl names in our list, you’ll find plenty of unique options, including Asami, Junko, Masuyo, Minato, Nao and Saori.
In our list of Japanese girl names, you’ll find many pretty options with beautiful meanings, from floral and nature-inspired names to names that literally mean ‘beautiful’. Some pretty names include Akari, Emi, Ichika, Noa, Misaki, Sora and Yumi.
Japanese girl names are adorable, and we have many cute options on our list. Whether it’s a cute sound you’re looking for or a name with a sweet meaning, you’re in luck! A few cute options include:
- Honoka, meaning ‘harmony’ and ‘flower’
- Hoshiko, meaning ‘star child’
- Mio, meaning ‘beautiful cherry blossom’
- Natsuki, meaning ‘summer moon’
- Suzume, meaning ‘sparrow’.
In our list of Japanese girl names, we have two beautiful floral names that mean ‘lily’ – Karen and Sayuri.
The Bottom Line
Were you inspired by those incredible Japanese girl names and their magical meanings? With so many beautiful combinations and such a delightful culture, we hope you found the perfect name for your baby girl. If you need a little more inspiration, check out our baby name generator!
And whether you’re early on in your pregnancy or that due date is drawing near, consider checking out our hospital bag checklist to help prepare you.
What is a rare Japanese girl name? ›
Masa: This gender-neutral Japanese baby name means “just, true,” giving it a sentiment as lovely as its sound. Mayumi: Multiple kanji spellings mean lots of meanings for this gender-neutral name.What Japanese girl name is lucky? ›
Keiko. Keiko is a playful-sounding name with auspicious meaning for any baby: It means "lucky child," "happy child," or "adored one." A super-popular name in Japan over the years, the element ko means "child," and happens to be a common ending for female names.What Japanese girl name means love? ›
Aiko. Aiko means love, affection, and child. Aiko was a trendy Japanese girls' name at the beginning of the 20th century.What is the number 1 rarest girl name? ›
- Aella. Origin: Ancient Greek name. Meaning: “Whirlwind” or “tempest”
- Alohi. Origin: Hawaiian girl name. Meaning: “Shining” or “brilliant”
- Caitronia. Origin: Gaelic. ...
- Novalie. Origin: Latin. ...
- Ottiline. Origin: French and German girl name. ...
- Tamsyn. Origin: Cornish.
What Japanese name means butterfly? Chouka is a Japanese name that means butterfly and is used for boys and girls. Other Japanese names for girls that also mean butterfly are Cho and Kocho. Kocho is a classical Japanese way of saying butterfly.What Japanese name means lily? ›
Sayuri can be written using different kanji characters and can mean: 小百合, "small, lily" 早百合, "early, lily"What Japanese girl name means fairy? ›
Yōsei (Japanese: 妖精, lit. "bewitching spirit") is a Japanese word that is generally synonymous with the English term fairy (フェアリー).What Japanese girl names mean sparkle? ›
Aki. Aki is a short, sweet Japanese baby name meaning 'sparkle' and 'bright.What Japanese girl names mean wise? ›
Reina: Meaning “wise”.
What Japanese girl name means future? ›
Mirai (未来 or 未來) is a Japanese given name. It means "future" and is part of the Sino-Japanese vocabulary (its cognates include Mandarin Chinese weilai and Korean mirae).What are the prettiest Japanese names? ›
- Itsuki | 一喜 ...
- Sora | 天 ...
- Hana | 初夏 ...
- Kaito | 海人 ...
- Sayo | 沙世 ...
- Takashi | 隆 Takashi is a masculine name that has been around for a long time. ...
- Chiha | 千羽 Chiha is a name for girls. ...
- Sakura | 桜 Like the pink and white blossoms that are its namesake, Sakura is a beautiful Japanese female given name.
|Chika||This female Japanese name meaning “wisdom; intelligence” is perfect virtue name. The other variations of the name are Chikaho, Chikayo and Chikako.|
|Chinami||Chunami is a unique Japanese girl”s name meaning “a thousand wisdom; intelligence”.|
Hime (姫) is the Japanese word for princess or a lady of higher birth.What is a kawaii name? ›
One of the most enigmatic Japanese words is kawaii (hereinafter, this word is employed without italicisation). It is often translated into English as 'cute' or 'pretty' (Yomota, 2006).What is a unique Japanese girl name flower? ›
- Akahana - Bright red flower.
- Akari - Red plum.
- Akina - Spring flower.
- Ayaka - Colorful flower.
- Ayame - Iris.
- Chika - Scattered flowers.
- Hana or Hanae or Hanako or Hanami - Blossom or flower.
- Himari - Good hollyhock.
Suki is a sweet girl's name of Japanese origin, meaning “beloved,” that delights in your devotion for baby. This likeable little name is taken from the Japanese word suki, which, when used in conversation, can be used to express a certain fondness for something.What is the Japanese name for Princess? ›
Hime (姫) is the Japanese word for princess or a lady of higher birth. Daughters of a monarch are actually referred to by other terms, e.g. Ōjo (王女), literally king's daughter, even though Hime can be used to address Ōjo.