God names and goddess names, along with other mythology names from various cultures, come with great meaning and provide inspiration for unique baby names. Give your little girl or boy legendary status from birth with an ancient name steeped in memorable mythology.
Gender-Neutral Greek Mythology Names From Greece and Beyond
In typical mythologies, characters were either depicted as male or female. However, there are some mythological characters who might be considered genderless for different reasons. Sometimes, ancient mythological names simply get reused for the opposite gender throughout time. Sit back and dive into a few unisex mythology names derived from Greek, Roman, and additional cultures.
- Amor - (a-MOR) - Roman; love
- Aphroditus - (a-pro-dee-toos) - Greek; beauty, features male and female parts
- Hapi - (hah-pee) - Egyptian; depicted as intersex
- Ikapati - (ee-kah-pah-tee) - Philippine; often disguised as a man
- Iphis - (i-fiss) - Egyptian; born a girl, but turned into a boy
- Itzamna - (it-zahm-nah) - Mayan; was both male and female
- Loki - (loh-kee) - Norse; knot; often disguised as a woman
- Nikephoros - (nee-kee-for-os) - Greek; carrying victory
- Nun - (nuhn) - Egyptian; primeval waters
- Ometeotl - (oh-mee-tay-ohl) - Aztec; was both male and female
- 100+ Meaningful Rainbow Baby Names for Boys and Girls
- How to Clean Nike Air Force 1s so They're Good as New
Greek Mythology Baby Names With Meanings to Enjoy
If you're looking for gorgeous Greek baby names, Greek mythology is full of inspirational tales and characters.
Common Greek Mythological Baby Boy Names
Male gods and characters from Greek mythology work well as strong baby boy names. From Greek gods to their children, any list of Greek mythology names for boys is long.
- Achilles - (a-KEEL-lehs) - Brave Greek hero
- Adonis - (A-DAW-NEES) - Lord
- Ajax - (AY-jaks) - Earth
- Alexander - (al-ig-ZAN-dər) - Defending men
- Apollo - (ə-PAHL-o) - Strength
- Atlas - (A-TLAS) - Enduring
- Castor - (KAS-tər) - To shine
- Cronus - (KRO-nəs) - To cut
- Damon - (DAY-mən) - To tame
- Eros - (EH-RAWS) - Love
- Hades - (HAY-deez) - Unseen
- Hector - (HEHK-tər) - Holding fast
- Helios - (HEH-LEE-OS) - Sun
- Linus - (LIE-nəs) - Flax
- Midas - (MEE-DAS) - Turned everything he touched to gold
- Orion - (AW-REE-AWN) - Boundary
- Perseus - (PEHR-SEWS) - To destroy
- Pluto - (PLOO-to) - Wealth
- Poseidon - (PO-SEH-DAWN) - Earth lord
- Zeus - (ZDEWS) - Sky
Rare Greek Mythology Names for Baby Boys
While you've probably heard of many Greek mythology names, some may sound just as great but be a little less ordinary. Take a gander at a few mythical names for your sweet baby boy. These rare gems might have the unique touch you're looking for in a first or middle name.
- Aeson - (ay-soh-nah) - Father of Jason
- Aiolos - (ay-oh-lohs) - Nimble
- Brontes - (vrawn-dees) - Thunderer
- Damocles - (DAM-ə-kleez) - The people
- Dardanos - (dar-deh-nohs) - To devour
- Kreios - (kree-ohss) - Master
- Leander - (lee-AN-dər) - Lion man
- Lycus - (lee-kohs) - Wolf
- Minos - (MEE-NAWS) - King
- Nereus - (NEH-REWS) - Water
- Phrixus - (FRIK-səs) - Thrilling
- Tychon - (tay-chohn) - Succeed
Mythical Baby Girl Names From Greece
Greek mythology celebrates women almost as much as men, so there's no shortage of Greek goddess and Greek mythology names for your little girl.
- Althea - (AEL-DHiy-aa) - Healing
- Andromeda - (AN-DRO-MEH-DA) - Be mindful of a man
- Aphrodite - (A-PRO-DEE-TEH) - Goddess of love, beauty
- Arachne - (A-RA-KNEH) - Spider
- Artemis - (AR-TEH-MEES) - Safe
- Athena - (A-TEH-NA) - Goddess of wisdom, warfare
- Calypso - (kə-LIP-so) - She that conceals
- Cassandra - (kə-SAN-drə) - To excel
- Circe - (SUR-see) - Bird
- Daphne - (DA-PNEH) - Laurel
- Demeter - (DEH-MEH-TEHR) - Earth mother
- Dione - (DEE-AW-NEH) - Goddess
- Electra - (i-LEHK-trə) - Amber
- Gaia - (GIE-A) - Earth
- Hera - (HEH-RA) - Hero, warrior
- Hermione - (HEHR-MEE-O-NEH) - Boundary marker
- Irene - (ie-REEN) - Peace
- Iris - ( IE-ris) - Rainbow
- Maia - (MIE-A) - Good mother
- Medusa - (meh-DOO-sə) - To protect
- Nike - (NEE-Keh) - Victory
- Pandora - (PAN-DAW-RA) - All gifts
- Persephone - (PEHR-SEH-PO-NEH) - To destroy
- Phoebe - (FEE-bee) - Pure
- Selene - (SEH-LEH-NEH) - Moon
- Thalia - (THAY-lee-ə) - To blossom
Uncommon Greek Mythology Names for Girls
If you want to go beyond the typical Greek names everyone's heard of, look for lesser-known Greek mythology names for your daughter.
- Aegle - (ay-glee) - Radiance
- Alcmene - (al-key-mee-nee) - Moon strength
- Aoide - (ay-EE-dee) - Song
- Ariadne - (A-REE-AD-NEH) - Most holy
- Elpis - (ehl-pees) - Hope
- Erato - (EH-RA-TAW) - Lovely
- Ismene - (EEZ-MEH-NEH) - Knowledge
- Klytië - (klee-tee-ay) - Noble
- Metis - (mey-tees) - Wisdom
- Nephele - (NEH-PEH-LEH) - Cloud
- Phaenna - (fah-eh-nah) - Shining
- Themis - (TEH-MEES) - Divine law
- Tyche - (TUY-KEH) - Fortune
Roman Mythology Names to Enjoy
From the 12 major Roman gods to mythological characters associated with movies and pop culture, Roman baby names typically end in an "A" or an "S."
Popular Roman Myth Names to Try on Your Boy
While these names may sound familiar, you probably won't see many boys with these popular names from Roman mythology.
- Aries - (A-ree-ehs) - Ram
- Cupid - (KYOO-pid) - Desire
- Gemini - (GEH-mee-nee) - Twins
- Hercules - (HEHR-koo-lehs) - Glory of Hera
- Janus - (YA-noos) - Archway
- Mars - (MAHRZ) - Male
- Mercury - (MURK-yə-ree) - To trade
- Neptune - (NEHP-toon) - Wet
- Remus - (REH-moos) - Founder of Rome
- Romulus - (RO-moo-loos) - Of Rome
- Saturn - (SAT-ərn) - God of agriculture
- Silvanus - (SEEL-wa-noos) - Forest
Cool Mythical Boy Names from Rome
Since Roman mythology is well known, it can be hard to find unique names from these tales. Look for lesser-known stories and characters to find a one-of-a-kind Roman mythology name for your son.
- Aeneas - (ie-NEH-as) - Praise
- Faunus - (FOW-noos) - To befriend
- Italus - (ih-tah-loos) - Of Italy
- Pollux - (PAHL-əks) - Very sweet
- Quirinus - (kwee-REE-noos) - Spear
Mythical Roman Warrior Names for Girls
Female names from Roman mythology tend to be very descriptive of beautiful things. You may not even realize that some popular baby girl names are derived from Roman mythology.
- Aurora - (ow-RAW-ra) - Dawn
- Diana - (dee-A-na) - Divine
- Flora - (FLAWR-ə) - Flower
- Juno - (YOO-no) - Youth
- Luna - (LOO-na) - The moon
- Minerva - (mi-NUR-və) - Intellect
- Rhea - (REH-A) - To flow
- Venus - (WEH-noos) - Love
- Victoria - (vik-TAWR-ee-ə) - Victory
Uncommon Roman Mythology Names for Girls
If you love the sound of Roman mythology names for girls, try out a less familiar name to give your little girl some character.
- Ceres - (KEH-rehs) - To grow
- Concordia - (kon-KOR-dee-a) - Harmony
- Felicitas - (feh-LEE-tsee-tas) - Good luck
- Larunda - (Lah-roon-dah) - To talk
- Nona - (noh-nah) - Ninth
- Vesta - (WEHS-ta) - Hearth
Weird and Cool Norse Mythology Baby Names
Norse mythology names often inspire Norwegian baby names because of their short, strong nature. Whether you've got a girl or a boy, Norse mythology has a great name for you.
Common Mythical Names for Baby Boys in Norse
Norse mythology consists of a few main characters who take on a lot of roles. If you'd like a powerful Scandinavian name for your little guy, check out these popular Norse men.
- Alf - (alf) - Elf
- Gandalf - (GAN-dahlf) - Wand elf
- Gunnar - (GOON-nahr) - Warrior
- Jarl - (YAHRL) - Chieftain
- Odin - (Oh-din) - Inspiration
- Sigurd - (SEE-gurd) - Victory guardian
- Thor - (TOOR) - Thunder
Rare Legendary Norse Names for Boys
While Odin and its various spellings may be trending upward on baby name lists, many Norse mythology names are waiting for their big moment. Check out a few of these mythological baby boy names as epic as your son.
- Alvis - (AELVihS) - All wise
- Balder - (bawl-der) - Prince
- Bragi - (brah-gee) - First
- Freyr - (FRAYR) - Lord
- Magni - (mahg-nih) - Mighty
- Njord - (nyawrd) - Strong
- Orvar - (or-var) - Arrow
- Sindri - (sihn-dree) - Sparkling
- Trym - (treeim) - Uproar
- Vidar - (VEE-dahr) - Wide warrior
- Yngvi - (ing-wee) - Ancestor
Are you InTheKnow?
Sign up for our newsletter featuring all the latest stories and products we love.
Epic Norse Mythology Names for Girls
Female names from Norse mythology are just as short and strong as male names. Help your little girl find her strength with a name inspired by a fierce Norse woman.
- Elli - (eh-lee) - Old age
- Freya - (FREH-ya) - Lady
- Frigg - (FRIG) - Beloved
- Kára - (kah-rah) - Curly
- Nanna - (NAHN-nah) - Brave
- Saga - (SAH-gah) - Seeing one
Rare Norse Mythology Folklore Names for Girls
Lesser-known Norse mythology female names are a great option if you like names with German sounds. Consider these precious names for your little warrior princess.
- Borghild - (borg-hiel) - Fortification battle
- Eir - (ayer) - Mercy
- Embla - (EHM-blah) - Elm
- Erna - (EH-nah) - Vigorous
- Grid - (GRID) - Peace
- Gudrun - (GOO-droon) - God's secret lore
- Hulda - (HUWL-da) - Hiding
- Idunn - (ee-dn) - To love again
- Skuld - (skoold) - Future
- Verdandi - (ver-dahn-dee) - Becoming
Legendary and Folklore Baby Names From Egyptian Myths
Egyptian mythology names are exotic and unique because they haven't really hit those popular baby name lists yet. Egyptian god and goddess names are closely affiliated with natural objects, making them great for those who love hippie baby names.
Cool Egyptian Mythical Names for Boys
While most Egyptian mythology characters aren't entirely human, some are designated as males by their body shape or what they typically wear.
- Amon - (AH-mən) - The hidden one
- Anubis - (ə-NOO-bis) - Royal child
- Aton - (AH-tən) - Solar disk
- Atum - (ah-tuhm) - Completion
- Iah - (eye-uh) - Moon
- Khepri - (kih-pree) - Morning sun
- Khonsu - (kahn-soo) - Traveller
- Min - (mihn) - Black
- Onuphrius - ( o-new-free-oos) - He who is good/happy
- Osiris - (o-SIE-ris) - God of the dead
- Ptah - (pə-TAH) - Opener
- Ra - (RAH) - Sun
- Seth - (SETH) - Pillar
Legendary Egyptian Baby Names for Girls
There aren't as many female characters in Egyptian mythology as males, but you've still got several powerful names to choose from.
- Bast - (BAHST) - Fire
- Hathor - (HATH-awr) - House of Horus
- Isis - (IE-si) - The throne
- Maat - (muh-aht) - That which is straight
- Neith - (neeth) - Water
- Nephthys - (nef-thiss) - Lady of the house
- Qadesh - (KAEDEH-SH) - Holy woman
- Taweret - (taw-ret) - She who is great
Mythological Creature and Character Names for Babies
If you can't find the name of a human-like mythological character you love, check out some of the amazing creatures depicted in different mythologies.
- Alicorn - (ah-leh-korn) - Winged unicorn
- Benu - (beh-noo) - Egyptian version of a Phoenix
- Cerberus - (ser-ber-uss) - Dog guarding Greek underworld
- Echidna - (eh-kid-nuh) - Greek snake woman
- Fenrir - (fain-rear) - Giant Norse wolf
- Griffin - (gri-fin) - Half-eagle/half-lion, represents strength and intellect
- Ladon - (lah-thone) - Dragon guarding golden apples
- Nemean - (nee-mee-uhn) - Lion who is Leo constellation
- Phoenix - (fee-niks) - Legendary bird of the sun
- Sylph - (silf) - Fairly like creature
Legendary Names for Babies
Choosing a mythology name can feel intimidating because they are often spelled and pronounced differently than common baby names. You can use a baby name pronunciation guide to help you find the original pronunciation, or adapt the name to have a more modern feel. Either way, your baby's name will help make them legendary.
© 2023 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.
What name means God's daughter? ›
Batya: Hebrew girl name meaning “daughter of God”What is the prettiest goddess name? ›
Aphrodite was the most beautiful of all the Goddesses. Aphrodite was the most beautiful of all the Goddesses and there are many tales of how she could encourage both Gods and humans to fall in love with her.What baby name means magic? ›
- Anwansi: Igbo.
- Āsimati: Amharic.
- Büyü: Turkish.
- Čaroban or Čarolija: Croatian.
- Divyae: Sanskrit and Hindi.
- Draíocht: Irish.
- Galdur: Icelandic and Norse.
- Jadis: Hindi. Also the name of the White Witch in the Chronicles of Narnia.
Daliso. An African name meaning “heavenly gift.”What name means gift of God? ›
Theo. This name of Greek origin means "gift of God."Which female goddess is most powerful? ›
Durga. Durga is one of the most powerful goddesses of Hindus. Hindu scriptures say that Durga came to kill the asuras, that is, the demons. Male gods had failed to control asuras and she was created.Who is the female god of beauty? ›
Aphrodite and the Gods of Love: Goddess of Love and Beauty (Getty Villa Exhibitions)Who are the 5 sister goddesses? ›
Panacea and her five sisters each performed a facet of Apollo's art: Panacea was the goddess of cures, Iaso was the goddess of recuperation, Hygieia was the goddess of disease prevention, Aceso was the goddess of recovery, Meditrina was the goddess of longevity, and Aglaea was the goddess of natural beauty.What names have deep meanings? ›
- Isaiah: Hebrew — Salvation of the lord.
- Jayce: Greek — Healer.
- Jonathan: Hebrew — God gives.
- Josiah: Hebrew — Fire of the Lord; healer.
- Julian: Latin — Father of the skies.
- Kano: Japanese — One's masculine power; capability.
- Levi: Hebrew — Joined in harmony.
The most popular baby names 2022 in the US are led by Olivia in the top spot for girls and Liam as the #1 name for boys. The most recent list of popular names ranks all the names given to five or more newborns born in the US in 2022.
What is the rarest female name? ›
- Aella. Origin: Ancient Greek name. Meaning: “Whirlwind” or “tempest”
- Alohi. Origin: Hawaiian girl name. Meaning: “Shining” or “brilliant”
- Caitronia. Origin: Gaelic. ...
- Novalie. Origin: Latin. ...
- Ottiline. Origin: French and German girl name. ...
- Tamsyn. Origin: Cornish.
Zacchaeus: Zacchaeus is a boy's name that means “innocent or pure”.What name is miracle? ›
Miracle is a feminine name with Latin roots to celebrate baby as a fantastic addition to your life. Coming from the Latin word miraculum, it translates to “wonder” and “marvel,” which are two words that fit baby's name like a glove.What baby names mean pure soul? ›
Reshu. A Gujarati name of Indian origin and it means pure soul.What girl name means beloved of God? ›
Amadea: Meaning “God's beloved” in Latin.What girl name means promised by God? ›
Amarisa A beautiful name for a girl, Amarisa means “Promised by God.” The name originates from Hebrew origin and is a deviation of the boy's name “Amaris.”What Hebrew name means daughter of God? ›
Batya, Batia: Batya, Batia mean "daughter of God."What name means daughter of Zeus? ›
Meaning “maiden” or “daughter,” Cora (or Kore), is a name found in classical Greek mythology referring to Persephone. She was the goddess of Spring, and the daughter of Zeus and Demeter, who was the goddess of agriculture.